Wednesday 21 April 2010

The Sailing Club Photographs

I decided to take my snowball to Bartley Green Sailing Club before art on Monday. I did this because I have now attended Newman University College for just under four years and this too is located in Bartley Green.

The sailing club has a superb fleet of boats do I decided to use this basis to take some pictures of my ball, juxta- posed alongside them. I had a lot of fun deciding where to place my installation and I got a variety of looks from fellow students as they were parking their cars to attend lectures.I wanted to create a photograph to represent the Bartley Green area but not in an obvious, direct way. Just as I tried to before.

Here are some of the results...




Since starting this task, I have become increasingly fond of black and white photographs. I particularly like the way all of the masts are visible in the image. They appear to be infinite and just go on and on into the distant.




The sky was a pale blue on the say of the photographs, In this image I particulary like the range of blues that are present. The paleness of the sky and the material on the boats.The image appears to be off balance in my head. I am not sure I like the way all of the main subject material is on the one side of the picture and the other side is bare. Compositionally, I do not feel this works well.



I took this photograph, just as I was walking out of the car park to my lecture. It was a spur of the moment idea and I do not like anything about it at all. It is ugly and doesn't excite me at all.


I like this image. I feel that in the composition there is a balance of horizontal and vertical features and this draws my eyes backwards and forwards around the image numerous times.I have also edited this image slightly to by adding a small amount of sharpening to the overall effect. I think it works well.


A similar shot but from a different angle. I am not so keen on this one as much as I prefer the view as it is perceived straight on. I also like how green and luscious the grass claims to be, contrasting and highlighting further, the little areas of shadow. Dwarfed by everything else but carrying the shape of the boats and prominent all the same.



I like the way the masts look like they are a continuation of the branches in the trees and the complimentary shades of blue, but overall I don't think the image works. It is not dynamic enough and doesn't scream wow at me.



This photograph makes me smile. I like the way the ball is just resting in the center of the path. Boats positioned on either side of it.It appears out of place and this was one of my intention when thinking about this project.



This composition looks too random. I do not like it.It looks cluttered.

I think I am developing an appreciation for photos that are compositionally balanced or black and white.

How do you perceive any of the images?

No comments:

Post a Comment