Tuesday 6 April 2010

Let the photographs commence.

I wanted my photos to be creative

According to Boden (1990)
"Creativity is doing something that goes beyond the accepted rules but in a new way that is understandable and acceptable to a wider audience"


I want to make my images understandable to people but at the same time make them think, I wish i had thought of that.



I spent the day with Gemma Round, my best friend. So to start with I wanted to create a picture that I could entitle after her because she is important to me. I didn't want to just picture her with the ball as I thought that was boring, so I started to look at where she lived and the surrounding areas to her neighbourhood and mix that into the context of the created image.

I thought about the schools and parks, but with safeguarding of children I deemed this unwise. In the end we settled for a photoshoot on Buckpool Nature Reserve. I thought this was ideal as it is closely located to Gemma's house and she spent time there as a child. It is also a favourite spot of hers to walk the dog.It is just a short drive from her house ( You could walk it too but the ball is quite tiresome to carry these days)

Here are some of the pictures... with evaluations.All are unedited as yet.



The place in question. This picture was taken a bit too close as I want the sellotape to be unidentifiable within the image.



I liked the idea of using the 'snowball' as a football and thought there would be an ideal photo opportunity next to some local goals. I feel this photo however, is too staged and therefore it doesn't work.



Action shot. Assembling position.



Next I wanted the snowball to rest on the top of the hill where earth and sky meet. The only problem was on this average British day the sky was not clear enough to define itself from the paleness of the snowball.I will experiment with this composition on a brighter day.




I like everything about this picture and it was purely coincidental that it turned out this well. Gemma simply sat on the ball as she went to retrieve it, much like you would a bench. I like the way it is like a purpose is trying to be given to the 'snowball'




The final resting place. I liked the ideal of the ball gathering momentum and imagining the bank that it had once rested on was coated with snow and the ball had rolled down to the bottom, collecting snow and growing in size as it went.But confusing the viewer also as the bank is grassy and the juxta-positioning of the ball in an unfamiliar environment continues. Resting gently at the bottom when it encountered some trees. This is what i was trying to create with this image.




I wanted to position this, as if it had just fallen from the sky and had landed and was rolling off the tree. The only way to do this was to drop it and take the picture at the correct moment, creating an effect I like. I don't like the visible sellotape lines to the right though.
For this one i simply wanted to rest in it the middle of the path. To see beyond it and in front of it. That the viewer would be able to see it shouldn't be there and wonder how it got there.

Reference
Boden, 1990 in

Koster, J, B(2009) Growing artists 4th edition. Teaching the arts to young children. Cengage Learning. Delmar.

No comments:

Post a Comment