Tuesday 6 April 2010

The Crooked House


This is the Crooked House.



A local Black Country tourist attraction and local to my home. We went here for dinner on our road trip. So I couldn't resist the urge to take the ball along too. We did get some admiring looks. With one jolly fellow saying he had a similar sized ball on his person if i would like to see. I gladly declined.

I like the top image better. I think that compositionally it sits better than the other one.I believe this is because the ball is central to the door. The bottom image appears to create further distortion to the building, creating a further slant to the right of the picture, contrasting with the already prominent slant of the building to the left.It makes my images go down the image from top to bottom in a zig zag pattern.


Some interesting facts...

It's leaning effect is due to local mining in the 1800s when the building was badly affected by subsidence, meaning that one side of the building is now four feet lower than the other.

The level floors combined with the leaning walls can create some very intriguing optical illusions where glasses can slowly slide across tables and marbles appear to roll upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment