Tuesday 23 February 2010

Anthony Goldsworthy

Today I had a tutorial with Sarah about the direction of my art and I told her my sellotape sculpture plan. She told me to look at Anthony Goldsworthy's 'Midsummer snowballs'.

He built 13 snowballs made from snow in scotland and released them onto the streets of London. That is pretty much all of the information I could find on the piece as well as a few images. I wonder what the people who were wondering around the streets of London that summer must of been thinking?





I did not know about this piece until Sarah said but it is quite similiar to what I want to do. Is it copying/ plagarism? I think not, it is a new and unique creative experience for me and that is my concern. Can you plagarise something you didn't know existed or does it just become your take on a like minded subject?

"The snowballs weren’t about snow as such, but about the processes of time and change. These pieces marked the closest Goldsworthy could get to the city’s everyday life, a dialogue of flows between the snowballs and the city’s inhabitants, particularly the daily tidal flow of commuters, which he describes as “a river of people.” The dialogue between the two flows is similar in spirit to the dialogue he seeks when placing works in relation to a real river, a point he mentions in Time. Seeking out the heart of the city may not be that unusual a preoccupation for an artist, but framing that preoccupation within a wholly ecological context, relating it directly to questions about a city’s ecological equilibrium, is a different territory altogether, alien to the current mainstream of British artists." by Oliver Lowenstein, Online (2003)

http://www.sculpture.org/documents/scmag03/june03/goldsworthy/gold2.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment