Tuesday 19 January 2010

Rust/lace/steel

So I have decided to experiment with rust at the moment and see where it takes me. My main focus for last years art was process art and I suppose this ties in nicely.

I went to B&Q and brought some sheets of steel, with the hope of overlaying some lace effect material (thank you New Look tights)over the top and encouraging the metal to go rusty (with the help of some salty water)I want the pattern to formed on the metal but I guess we shall see what happens.

I could also relate this process to school and learning as how much water is sprayed, different locations of the metal, different metals... could be experimented with. There are numerous possibilities.

It is also important that the metal is not moved from position whilst it is rusting as the lace (I would imagine) needs to remain torte in order for a pattern to appear. Therefoe I sewed one side of the lace to the other roughly to keep it rigid.


Here is the front view of the experimental piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment