Friday 16 October 2009

Tate Modern

I thought it was about time i finally compiled a blog about our trip to tate modern. He are a selection of my favourite works from the day;



Scale;No Title (Table And Four Chairs).(2003)
Robert Thierren




I thought this piece are art was wonderful. I thought this to be so as it made a really big impact on the viewer and i believe it to be engaging for the young and old alike. I love the way the sculpture is 'in the round' allowing exploration from all angles and i really like the way you can get into the art and walk around, through, behind it.

This picture shows the scale of the work as i am standing next to one of the chairs and the base of the chair is level with my head. The work reminds me of a fairyland style work and i think is particularly representative of Guilliver's travels.


Venus of the Rags
Michaelangelo Pistoletto (1967)(1974)







I liked this work because i tied the contemporary and the traditional together and created a new composition, with a twist. I like the humour and comical value of the piece. I really enjoy the juxta-position of the different genres and i think it would raise a few smiles amongst the people who look at it.

It reminds me in someways of the work of Banksy and his cheeky, controversial, can this be classed as art? style. It is something i am particularly a fan of.



Richard Serra




I was really interested in seeing this piece of art as i studied this artist as one of the ones who influenced my work last year. Richard Serra is known for his process art and he made this piece by throwing molten lead into the corner of the room and leaving it to cool, therefore creating the art. This would mean that this piece could never be reproduced the same again and even if the same technique was followed, nature would most likely have a different effect another time round.He made a series of these 'splash pieces'.




Robert Morris

>



I also looked at Robert Morris for the same process art reason. He created his art by cutting felt and hanging it from a nail on the wall and letting gravity complete the process that nature desired it to and therefore the final piece of art with it. This method would also produce unique results.


" The creative imagination requires a certain abandon and disregard for results, which often paradoxically generates the most useful outcomes"

(Mcniff, 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment