Wednesday 22 July 2009

The New Walsall Art Gallery






Today myself, jaz and Amy went on an arty farty trip to find some art. Although the fourth arty farty was absent it was a great day. Alot of the special exhibits had just been removed so there was only a few exhibitions that were not resident exhibitions.

The main one was 'CRASH' by Jonathan Shaw.It looks at the representation of time and movement through photography and is definitely larger than life. It is a surreal experience walking through all of the images, it gives you an almost dizzy, queasy feeling.The images were almost imposing.





Because of the theme of movement, I decided to spin my camera and take pictures of the exhibition conveying the movement of the camera. I don't like the effect, it is not one which i desired to achieve. It just resembles a photo that has not been developed properly.


This may be because this is not related to my own work at present and this may be why I dont have such a great appreciation for it.

Thistlewood 1989 agrees
" I believe art history, art criticism and even preference and even aesthetics, take on greater meaning for students if they are related to their own productive work" Thistlewood, 1989, p54)

Reference
Thistlewood, D (1989) Critical studies in art and Design Education. Longman Group Ltd. Essex

No comments:

Post a Comment